for video recording
- Food industry experts discuss up-and-coming certifications that consumers are looking for, why they matter, how to evaluate whether they’re right for your brand, and the financial and legal considerations you should consider.
Naturally Bay Area board member Dan Kurzrock, Co-Founder of ReGrained and Board Member of the Upcycled Food Association, spoke with our featured panelists:
- Peter Dering, Co-Founder, Climate Neutral
- Peter Dering is the founder and CEO of Peak Design, a San Francisco-based company he started in 2010 that makes photography, outdoor, and lifestyle gear. Growing acutely aware of his company’s increasing carbon footprint, Dering co-founded Climate Neutral: an independent non-profit organization that enlists private businesses to achieve net-zero carbon emissions through a simplified, four-step process. Climate Neutral members must measure their carbon footprint, identify opportunities to reduce emissions, purchase offsets for remaining un-reduced emissions, and finally market their climate commitment to consumers through the use of the Certified Neutral label.
- Rudy Marchesi, President, Demeter USA
- Called out as “Oregon’s Beloved Biodynamic Mentor,” Rudy was acknowledged as the Oregon Wine Press “Person of the Year 2018.” As President and chief viticulturist at Montinore Estate, Rudy has been deeply immersed in the practice of Biodynamic farming for many years. The estate—all 240 acres—has been Demeter certified for more than 10 years and Montinore is also the country’s largest producer of certified estate wine. Rudy was one of nine growers—and the only American—asked to join the International Biodynamic Viticulture Group, that will be promoting Biodynamic viticulture and winemaking education around the globe, including creating an international web-based forum for Biodynamic winegrowers.
- Jaclyn Bowen, Executive Director, Clean Label Project
- Jaclyn Bowen is a food safety and quality systems engineer and executive director of Clean Label Project, a national non-profit and consumer advocacy organization with the mission to bring truth and transparency to food and consumer product labeling. Through data, science, and benchmarking, Clean Label Project uses retail sampling and testing to benchmark product quality and purity of America’s best-selling food and consumer products and award Clean Label Project’s coveted evidence-based Purity Award. Before coming to Clean Label Project, Jaclyn held numerous technical, standards development, food safety, quality, and executive roles within the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre, NSF International. Her expertise is in organic, gluten-free, non-GMO labeling, food safety, and label claim substantiation and compliance. Bowen and Clean Label Project have appeared on NBC, ABC, CNN, ‘The Doctors’, ‘Dr. Oz’, ‘Dr. Drew’ and 450+ print and online media outlets including USA Today and Huff Post. Bowen holds a Bachelors of Science in environmental biology, a Master of Science in quality engineering and a Master of Public Health in management and policy. Jackie prides herself on being a professional buzzkill at dinner parties.
- Allison B. Condra, Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Alli applies her lifelong interest in quality, responsible food to help clients protect and grow their “good for you” food and beverage brands. Alli has represented food, beverage and pet food companies, distributors, retailers, farms and restaurants. While the meat of her practice centers on evaluating food labels and claims for regulatory compliance and litigation risks, she advises on a broad range of topics such as Prop 65; hemp-derived CBD; food/alcohol delivery; plant-based foods and alternative proteins; standards of identity; and menu labeling. She also counsels clients on local, state, and federal food safety regulations and navigates product recalls with government agencies.